Substance Abuse Counseling in Puyallup, Washington
A terrible disease is spreading and infecting thousands of people across the nation. This disease is the great equalizer; it does not discriminate based on age, race, financial status, gender, or religion. This is a fatal disease if left untreated and unaddressed by professionals in the field. This horrific disease is addiction. The cure is structured substance abuse counseling and treatment. Substance abuse programs in Puyallup are close to home to help those suffering from this deadly disease.
Puyallup, WA Addiction Counseling
As with any dangerous disease, you need the assistance of a professional in the field to help make the necessary changes to save your life. A licensed alcohol and drug counselor is that professional. An addiction counselor in Puyallup will guide you through the therapeutic protocol of addiction counseling to seek an enriching life without the use of substances. Some of the methods used may include:
- One-on-one and Group Therapy Sessions: A combination of different methods of therapy can help you overcome addiction. With one-on-one therapy, your drug and alcohol counselor will help you to deal with past traumas that may feed the addiction and help to instill skills to handle the stresses of life in a more productive manner. Group therapy helps you learn from the experiences of your peers and begin to share your own truth, which is a cathartic experience during treatment.
- Coping Mechanisms: Drug abuse counselors understand the importance of teaching new coping mechanisms because, without this crucial skill set, you can easily succumb to the old temptations that drove you to use initially. Without changing the initial behaviors, you cannot change the outcome. Armed with these coping mechanisms, you can learn to handle the difficulties of life without needing the crutch of drugs or alcohol.
- Identifying Goals: Without clearly identifying goals, it can be easy to get off course with your recovery. Your short-term goals are used to help get through the initial withdrawal period and help to lay the foundation for recovery. Long-term goals are used to keep the benefits of sobriety in mind and give you something to work toward as you progress out of your initial substance abuse counseling program.
Local Licensed Drug Counselor
A drug counselor, or drug abuse counselor, is an expert in treating drug addiction and any co-occurring disorder that could exist. Your substance abuse counselor in Puyallup is someone who is well-versed in the symptoms, side-effects, and most effective treatment protocols for drug addiction. No matter what substance you are battling, a drug counselor is there to help.
You can find licensed drug counselors in your local area by using the online database provided by Psychology Today.
Local Certified Alcohol Counselor
Addiction counseling is not limited to drugs. Alcoholism, or an addiction to alcohol, is just as deadly as a drug addiction. Without having the proper help of qualified addiction counseling, it can be easy to fall back into old habits when faced with bottles of alcohol on the shelf of your local store. Because alcohol is readily available and drinking is considered socially acceptable, it is often difficult to kick the habit alone. A local, certified alcohol counselor can give you the needed support to achieve sobriety and then maintain it.
Drug Addiction Counselor Puyallup, WA
Your drug addiction counselor in Puyallup is the core of your recovery support network during and after substance abuse treatment. Finding the right alcohol and drug counselor for you should be a process not made in desperate haste. This person is instrumental in your recovery and you should make sure that your chosen substance abuse counselor in Puyallup meets the following criteria:
- Your alcohol and drug counselor should be a certified and licensed alcohol and drug counselor, which signifies that the chosen individual has passed the requirements set by the governing standard in the mental health community and can provide a proper level of care.
- Your addiction counselor should also possess a specialized designation for handling specific types of addictions. For example, if you are battling opiate addiction, find a drug counselor who has experience treating opiate and opioid dependency.
- You should also find drug abuse counselors that are known for being compassionate with their clients and that can establish a strong personal connection. This will allow you to build trust with this person, which is essential for breaking down walls and committing to the treatment process.
Substance Abuse Programs Near Me
To find the best substance abuse programs near you, it is best to reach out to a variety of trusted sources for recommendations:
- Family Doctor: A primary care physician is a valued member of the health and wellness community who is familiar with your personal health information and can help give recommendations tailored to your needs.
- Insurance Providers: Your insurance company can always give a list of in-network providers to find the best level of coverage. If you want a list of all substance abuse programs, your insurance company can give a list that includes out of network providers as well.
- Puyallup Mental Health Professionals: An expert in the field of mental health is able to provide excellent recommendations to help you find the best substance abuse counselors in Puyallup. If you do not currently have a relationship with a mental health professional and would like to speak with someone confidentially, you can always reach out to The Recovery Village to inquire about substance abuse counselors in the Puyallup area.