Finding an Interventionist in Cincinnati, Ohio
Interventions have received a negative reputation over the past decade or two, largely due to their portrayal on television and in movies. For entertainment purposes, interventions are often depicted as surprise encounters between emotional family members and a loved one suffering from addiction. These interventions are most often characterized by drama, altercation, and even violence on television.
In reality, interventions in Cincinnati are very different. A real-life intervention is a thoughtful, planned meeting between loved ones who come together to share feelings and discuss next steps for somebody struggling with addiction. Very often, an intervention is facilitated by a trained interventionist, somebody with the skills and experience to guide the intervention toward the desired outcome. The goal of an intervention seems obvious – to get somebody living with addiction into substance abuse treatment in Cincinnati. However, this is not entirely accurate.
This is one crucial aspect of an intervention; the other is often overlooked. The secondary purpose of an intervention is to educate the family and friends of an addict about addiction, their role in their loved ones’ addiction, and how they can be of help during the rehabilitation process.
This is when having a qualified interventionist involved becomes necessary. Intervention counselors have the skills and the expertise to properly educate families and may even offer post-intervention support. If you are looking for an interventionist in Cincinnati, there are a number of qualified individuals from which to choose. Use this guide to help you better understand the role of an interventionist and how you can search for one that fits your unique needs.
Drug Intervention Counselor in Cincinnati, OH
When you are searching for a Cincinnati drug intervention counselor, it may be helpful to have a list of questions ready to ask during your first conversation. By basing this list of initial questions on the particular circumstances of you and your family, you will be able to quickly assess whether this counselor might be a good fit. Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Which method of intervention do you use?
- Do you have experience with this particular addiction?
- What are first steps for my family/other participants?
- What happens if my loved one refuses to seek treatment afterward?
- Do you offer post-intervention counseling?
Use these questions as a starting point, and add your own as you identify the needs of your family. Keep in mind that much of the intervention process involves working with the drug intervention counselor to learn how addiction works and how you and your family may be contributing to it. Changing the way you think about addiction, as well as changing how you act around somebody suffering from it, is a major step toward helping your loved one heal.
One other important point to remember is that credentials and experience are essential, but making sure that you feel comfortable around the drug intervention counselor is crucial to a successful intervention. If any of the participants feel reluctant or unsafe during the intervention process, it is highly unlikely to end with the desired result. Find a counselor that makes you feel safe, secure, and comfortable, and he or she will likely have that same effect on your loved one living with addiction.
Cincinnati, OH Drug and Addiction Intervention Counselors
Every drug and addiction intervention counselor is different and follows his or her own individual process to set up an intervention, largely informed by the needs of the family and friends organizing the intervention. However, there is a general outline that you can expect to follow with a drug and addiction intervention counselor in Cincinnati:
Step 1 – Consultation: This is the first conversation or two that you have with the addiction intervention counselor. It can take place in-person, over the phone, or via video chat in some cases. The important part of this conversation is to ensure that you provide as much information as you can to the counselor while asking all of the necessary questions that you need to feel secure and confident that you have made a good choice.
Step 2 – Education: During this phase of pre-intervention planning, the drug and addiction counselor will teach family and friends about the science of addiction and how it operates in the brain. They will also observe behaviors and thought patterns surrounding addiction, and work to instill healthier reactions and coping mechanisms. Should your loved one decide to seek treatment, you will need to be an effective member of his or her support team during the long journey to recovery. This phase is part of learning how to offer the best support that you can.
Step 3 – Planning: Finally, planning the intervention is the final stage of the process. Choosing a setting, date and time may seem trivial, but they can play a major role in whether the intervention is a success or not. Think about when, where, and what time of day your loved one would be most comfortable and relaxed. Most modern intervention methods also suggest inviting your loved one to attend the intervention rather than surprising them. Choosing to participate in the intervention is a good sign that they may be ready or close to ready to seek treatment.
Alcohol Intervention Near Me
Due to its legal status and positive-spin marketing, alcohol addiction affects millions of Americans and their families every day. This means that the demand for qualified alcohol interventionists is higher than ever. Alcohol intervention counselors in Cincinnati are trained to help families confront their loved ones about their alcohol abuse in a loving, compassionate, and thoughtful way. There are a number of ways to find alcohol interventionists in Cincinnati; try one of these methods today:
- Talk to your doctor – Family doctors often have a good understanding of the needs of your family and have professional connections within the medical community in Cincinnati. This gives them a unique and valuable perspective when offering recommendations to you.
- Call your insurance provider – Some insurance plans offer additional coverage for certain services or through specific facilities, practices etc. Ask a representative of your insurance provider about your local options and make sure you understand your insurance coverage.
- Ask for personal recommendations – If you know somebody who has experience dealing with a local interventionist in Cincinnati, ask them to talk about their experience with you. This can give you a powerful and personal understanding of how a certain interventionist operates, helping you make an informed decision.
- Get in touch with The Recovery Village – Our intake coordinators are ready to take your call 24/7. They have extensive knowledge of local intervention counselor resources and can connect you with them right away. Every phone call is free and every conversation is 100 percent confidential. Call today to get started.