Drug Testing Centers and Facilities in Saint Augustine, Florida
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, some 21.5 million adults battled some kind of substance abuse disorder in 2014 in the US alone. Without a doubt, the 21st century is seeing a drug epidemic unlike any other, and Saint Augustine is no exception. As a result, there is an ongoing and increasing need for drug testing centers, for both personal and professional use.
If you or a loved one is reluctant to take a drug test, this may be an indication of a substance use disorder in Saint Augustine. If this sounds like you, know there are a number of treatment options in the Saint Augustine area that can be of assistance, including The Recovery Village. Call us to speak with someone who can provide more information.
Saint Augustine Drug Testing Centers
While there are a number of drug testing centers in the Saint Augustine area, it is helpful to understand how drug testing works, what specimens are collected, and what will best fit your needs.
Most drug testing centers administer tests based on two sets of criteria: the kind of drug being tested for and the type of specimens collected. In most cases, a drug testing facility will check for five common categories of drugs, including amphetamines, cocaine, marijuana, phencyclidine (PCP) and opiates. In addition to these common ones, some facilities also test for other categories as well.
Specimens collected for drug testing may include:
- Urine: This is the most common type of specimen collected at a drug test center. Urine is widely used because metabolites, or structures produced by the metabolism after any substance is ingested, are excreted from the body through urine. Urine testing measures levels of these metabolites to evaluate drug or alcohol use.
- Saliva: Saliva is the second most frequently collected specimen at Saint Augustine drug testing centers, primarily because the test is fast and noninvasive. However, these tests can only be used to detect drug use within a brief window of time.
- Blood: Because of the high cost and invasive nature of blood testing, this method is seldom used. However, blood testing is the most accurate specimen for drug testing.
- Hair: After ingesting a drug, metabolites created by the body enter the blood vessels of the scalp and are filtered out through the hair. Because these metabolites stay present in the hair, hair drug testing can act as a permanent record of a person’s drug use.
- Perspiration: A newer method of drug testing, sweat testing requires that a sweat patch be affixed to the skin for two weeks. Over that period of time, the patch detects any drugs that a person excretes through perspiration. Once the patch arrives at drug testing facilities, Saint Augustine medical professionals examine it carefully.
Reliable drug testing centers tend to have a few key characteristics in common.
- Accurate. Testing results are clear and correct. The easiest way to assess the accuracy of a facility’s tests is to see if they are certified by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Consult the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) comprehensive list of HHS certified laboratories across the country to find one near you.
- Private. Because the results of a drug test could be damaging to an individual’s personal and professional life, it’s important that a drug testing facility does not share test outcomes with any unauthorized individuals.
- Fast. Regarding most drug tests, time is of the essence. Whether you need the results for work, school, sports or other activities, make sure that the drug testing facility you go to can deliver your results in an expedient fashion.
- Experienced. Undergoing testing from an experienced center means that you can rely on their results and trust that the process will be seamless and professional.
While there are many reasons for someone to seek out a drug testing center, some of the most common are pre-employment screening, ongoing employment screening, post-accident investigations, post-rehabilitation testing, probation, sports, and randomized school testing.
Finding Drug Testing Facilities Near Me
If you are searching for “drug testing facilities near me,” you may be surprised at the large number of available options. As with anything, it is important to choose the right option for you. To help you select drug testing facilities in Saint Augustine, be sure to talk with your physician, who may be able to make a recommendation based on your specific medical history. You may also need to check with your insurance provider to see if there is a center with which they prefer to work. An online search may also provide information, including reviews from other individuals.
Of course, if you need additional assistance, The Recovery Village can help you narrow down the choices and find one that meets your needs, especially if there is a history of substance use disorder. Call a representative for more information today.