Finding an Interventionist in Palm Harbor, Florida
Are you thinking of having an intervention to help your loved one see the need for checking into a rehab center? Here are some things to consider.
Before you start an alcohol or drug intervention, it is important that you choose an intervention counselor that will facilitate the best experience for your family and your loved one. An intervention can be a highly emotional and charged situation, so you want to work with someone who has experience dealing with similar circumstances, especially if your loved one is prone to violence or acting out.
When searching for intervention counselors, make sure to spend time interviewing potential candidates to see if you feel comfortable and supported. Although you should screen for credentials and experience, ultimately you want to make a decision based in part on personality.
It is common to have initial consultations on the phone, but you may meet in person. During an interview, ask the interventionist in Palm Harbor the following:
- What is your experience with this type of addiction?
- How have you handled similar situations in the past?
- What is your preferred intervention method?
- What is the best way to prepare?
- What happens after an intervention?
- What if my loved one is not ready to get help?
Many people focus on the person struggling with addiction when setting up a Palm Harbor drug intervention, but an addiction intervention can also help family members and other loved ones affected by the disease.
In many situations, an individual’s substance abuse or addiction leads to unhealthy behavior patterns that may hurt a relationship. Additionally, loved ones may support an addiction through codependency, enabling, or other unhealthy behaviors. An intervention allows for family members to recognize their own role in the addiction and choose to no longer let the addiction impact their life.
Drug Intervention Counselor in Palm Harbor, Florida
During an effective intervention, family members and loved ones learn about the enabling and codependency that has led to a lack of the individual’s accountability about their addiction. Once family members have the knowledge and power to change their own behaviors, it helps to bring an individual out of denial and into the treatment they need.
It can be difficult to have these hard conversations on your own. In some situations, the person with the addiction knows how to manipulate their family members into thinking everything will be fine. Working with intervention counselors in Palm Harbor provides the structure and guidance to finally have these tough talks and hopefully get the person into treatment.
Palm Harbor, FL Drug and Addiction Intervention Counselors
An intervention follows a strict protocol to facilitate a structured environment. The structure begins with the planning of the intervention. Although all interventionists will have their own way of handling things, in general, it will follow this process:
- Consultation: An intervention always begins with a consultation between the intervention counselor and at least one of the family members. During the consultation, you will start to identify some of the issues contributing to the addiction and ways in which the family members can regain control. The interventionist will also make sure that all members are on the same page in terms of the process.
- Education: The next phase includes educating other family members and loved ones about the addiction and steps to take during the intervention. During this part of the process, the intervention counselor can educate family not only on possible substance abuse treatment programs for the person struggling with addiction but also on ways to support the family.
- The Intervention: Most intervention counselors will advocate for scheduling the intervention as soon as possible to break the cycle before it gets worse. When and where it happens, as well as the process, will depend on your unique situation and the preferred intervention methods of the counselor.
You do not have to wait for your loved one to hit rock bottom to schedule an intervention. In many cases, an earlier intervention can have better success than one in which the person has already hit his or her lowest point.
Alcohol Intervention Near Me
Because alcohol is a legal substance, it is much harder to get someone to recognize a drinking problem. Alcohol intervention provides one way to assist a person in overcoming denial and recognizing the impact it has on their family members and loved ones.
An alcohol interventionist in Palm Harbor will not focus on the amount of alcohol your loved one drinks but instead, concentrate on the worrying behavior patterns and impact on the family that the drinking causes. An intervention provides space for people to detail how they plan to regain control of their own lives and no longer enable their loved one’s drinking problem.
Working with intervention counselors in Palm Harbor will help you to structure an intervention that helps your loved one get out of denial and get into a treatment program. You will also learn ways in which to facilitate a healthier home environment to help the person remain in recovery when they return home, as well as help to heal some of the problems caused by the addiction.
When you look for Palm Harbor drug intervention or alcohol intervention, start with the following:
- Internet Search: One place to find an interventionist in Palm Harbor is to search for certified interventionists near you. Review the reviews and testimonials to get a feel for whether the person is a good fit.
- Word of Mouth: If you feel comfortable, ask around to your personal network to find potential candidates for an interventionist. See if they have a recommendation and ask about their personal experience.
- Physician: Your primary care physician most likely has worked with someone undergoing a similar situation. They should have some resources to share to help you find an interventionist, as well as treatment programs.
- Insurance Company: Your insurance provider may have a list of interventionists in their resources for drug and alcohol addiction.
Working with an interventionist is an important first step in getting your loved one the help they need. Reach out today to The Recovery Village to explore options in your area.