Before the partyA self pep talk about keeping boundaries and revisiting the relapse prevention plan before the party is one way to keep a balanced headspace. Going to the party feeling good emotionally can only be countered by looking good too. With money not being spent on addiction, it is more affordable to get a new outfit or go to the salon and be pampered. Women may want to take the time to get their hair blown out, makeup done and nails painted. Men can afford to get a shave. Last but not least bring someone reliable to the party who does not threaten ones sobriety and who knows how to have a good time.
During the PartyThere are two important things to keep in mind when attending a holiday party:
- Have a mission- Even though it is a party, one can still have goals. Pick the brains of the most interesting people in the room, fill up the dance card or grab a friend and try sampling a small piece of each dessert.
- Keep busy- One can remain social while staying away from any drama by taking photos or video to record the event, volunteering to help keep food displayed or become the party dj.
Leaving the PartyPlan to leave the party by a certain time. Usually this means a specific hour but it can also mean once people begin to loosen up and feel the buzz it may be time to go. When party guests get past two drinks they may say or do things that is not normal for them. Reno drug detox. Leave the party without feeling obligated to become the designated driver. A sober person’s time is just as important as anyone else’s time. Offer to call a cab or friend to pick up anyone who is not able to drive and stick with established pre-party boundaries.
- Do You Need Gender-Specific Addiction Treatment? - October 9, 2018
- Is Science Closer to a Cure for Alcohol Use Disorder? - August 30, 2018
- Why Is Alcohol Use Disorder On the Rise Among Women? - December 6, 2017
- Survey Shows 12 Percent of Americans Have an Opioid-Addicted Family Member - December 5, 2017
- Opioid Epidemic Costs Estimated in the Billions - December 4, 2017
- Yale Announces “Innovation to Impact” Program to Spur Substance Abuse Treatment Solutions - December 1, 2017
- Why Prevention Is an Essential Weapon in the Fight against Substance Abuse - November 30, 2017
- What Is the Difference between Drug Addiction and Behavioral Addiction? - November 29, 2017
- Marriage, Addiction, and Divorce: What You Should Know - November 28, 2017
- Substance Abuse and Suicide: Exploring the Connection - November 27, 2017