Keep the holidays safe and happy for every guest that you invite into your home this year with a ‘dry’ (no alcohol) seasonal party. There is an abundance of holiday drink recipes online that do not contain alcohol and most that do can be adapted. The drinks taste wonderful, have eye candy appeal, and will serve your budget well!
Holiday time is difficult for anyone in recovery from alcohol abuse and dependency, no matter how long they have been on the recovery road. Holidays are often stressful and can be lonely; both of which can cause relapse. Taking the focus off the holiday buzz and placing it on the joy of being together with friends and family will provide much laughter and many happy memories for all.
Here are a couple of recipes you might want to try. Many more can be found on Pinterest or by doing a Google search for “non-alcoholic holiday drink recipes”.
- 1 ½ quarts Cranberry juice
- 2 quarts Apple juice
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- 4 Cinnamon sticks
- ½ t Cloves, whole
Wrap the cinnamon and cloves in a small piece of cheesecloth tying it with string to form a pouch. Pour the apple and cranberry juices in large soup pot, stir in the brown sugar and add the spice bag. Bring the cider to a boil over medium heat; immediately lower the heat and let the cider simmer for 2 hours. Remove the spice bag and serve. Bonus: your home will be fragrant and welcoming by the time the guests arrive.
- 6 eggs
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 quart milk
- 1/3 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
Beat the eggs; mix in the condensed milk, vanilla, milk, and salt. Beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold the cream into the egg and milk mixture and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve chilled. Serves: 8-12
- Understanding The Difference Between Alcohol Use and Alcoholism - December 12, 2018
- Do You Need Gender-Specific Addiction Treatment? - October 9, 2018
- Is Science Closer to a Cure for Alcohol Use Disorder? - August 30, 2018
- Why Is Alcohol Use Disorder On the Rise Among Women? - December 6, 2017
- Survey Shows 12 Percent of Americans Have an Opioid-Addicted Family Member - December 5, 2017
- Opioid Epidemic Costs Estimated in the Billions - December 4, 2017
- Yale Announces “Innovation to Impact” Program to Spur Substance Abuse Treatment Solutions - December 1, 2017
- Why Prevention Is an Essential Weapon in the Fight against Substance Abuse - November 30, 2017
- What Is the Difference between Drug Addiction and Behavioral Addiction? - November 29, 2017
- Marriage, Addiction, and Divorce: What You Should Know - November 28, 2017