Anafranil is the brand name for clomipramine – a prescription drug used in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and depression. OCD and depression are mostly a result of chemical imbalances in the brain. Anafranil works by creating a balance of these chemicals in the brain and, thereby, improves a person’s mood and helps them recover to normalcy.
Clomipramine was discovered by Ciba- Geigy, a Swiss Drug Manufacture in 1964. Since its discovery, it has been tested, proven and approved by the FDA to effectively treat OCD, unlike other antidepressants. It is passed as a generic medication and listed on World Health Organization’s list of essential medicines.
Clomipramine is a prescription drug that should only be administered by a qualified pharmacist. A patient gets a prescribed dose that they are to follow exactly as instructed. When starting, Anafranil medication is taken in low doses to enable the patient’s body to adapt to it. It can be taken by mouth with meals or as instructed by your doctor. One of the side effects of clomipramine is drowsiness, so it’s best taken before bedtime.
The medication is taken regularly while on treatment. However, if you miss a dose, it is not recommended to take a double dose to compensate for the missed one, as this could lead to increased risk of side effects such as seizure. Also, the patient should avoid certain fruits or foods like grapes and grape juice as their chemical contents could lead to reactions that might bring out about some undesirable complications. To get the most benefit from clomipramine, follow instructions as given, and do not suddenly stop the dosage. That could lead to headaches, nausea, dizziness and irritability.
Remember: Your prescribed dosage is based on your medical condition. Patience is key while undergoing medication, and it may take weeks before the full effect of the drug is realized.
First off, clomipramine is mainly reserved for use in severe cases of depression and OCD, and its misuse can be dangerous. If a patient exceeds the prescribed dosage multiple times for a long time, they may suffer from substance misuse disorder that would require a comprehensive medical therapy program to overcome. Many people have overcome this condition especially under the care of professional medical experts at The Recovery Village.
Also, it is not safe to mix Anafranil with other substances, as this may lead to one experiencing strong needs to ingest the drug even when they don’t have a credible medical need for it. This can result in Anafranil misuse disorder that can be detrimental to their health.
Sometimes an individual recovering from substance misuse disorder might backtrack, but that can be prevented through a focused aftercare program with proper social support and therapy sessions. The staff at The Recovery Village is well-trained and qualified to successfully take you through this phase.
If you, or any of your loved ones, need such supportive aftercare, don’t hesitate to call the nearest center to book your first aftercare session at The Recovery Village.
- Visit the following websites to learn about The Recovery Village’s network of rehabilitation facilities. Call today for admissions. Each center is ready to help people learn how to cope with their Ambien addiction and uncover the root causes for their substance use disorder.
- Orlando Recovery Center: A premier rehabilitation facility in Orlando, Florida that helps individuals recover from addiction and substance use disorders. The center also offers the opportunity to treat co-occurring disorders.
- The Recovery Village Columbus: Located in Ohio, this facility provides inpatient, outpatient and aftercare treatment for people looking to begin detox. The center provides individualized plans to help patients through recovery while addressing their unique co-occurring disorders or any setbacks that may happen during recovery.
- The Recovery Village Palmer Lake: In Colorado, this facility offers inpatient, outpatient and intensive outpatient treatment for individuals looking to kick-start their journey to recovery.
- The Recovery Village Ridgefield: Located right in southern Washington, this facility provides patients with outpatient and aftercare programs. Just 20 minutes outside of Portland, this facility assists individuals who are ready to begin treatment.
- The Recovery Village: In Umatilla, Florida, this is a rehabilitation facility that provides resources for individuals seeking drug and alcohol treatment. There are inpatient, outpatient, intensive outpatient and partial hospitalization treatment programs available for those suffering from Ambien addiction.
- IAFF Center of Excellence: Specializes in assisting firefighters who struggle with behavioral health problems and addiction. Members can enter the recovery process sooner so they can return back to work as quickly as possible. Inpatient, partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient programs are all available at this facility, where patients can address their Ambien addiction in a safe, supportive environment.
- Denver Mental Health & Counseling: Denver Mental Health and Counseling by The Recovery Village is a physician-led outpatient center specializing in evidence-based addiction and mental health treatments, offering services such as TMS, IOP, and personalized care for both ongoing and new patients, dedicated to fostering long-term recovery and overall well-being.
- The Recovery Village Palm Beach at Baptist Health: The Recovery Village Palm Beach at Baptist Health is a premier physician-led treatment center in South Florida, offering a comprehensive spectrum of services from medical detox to outpatient programs for alcohol, drug, and co-occurring mental health conditions, with a commitment to rejuvenating lives, families, and communities, and facilitating same-day admissions.
- The Recovery Village Atlanta: Located in Roswell just outside downtown Atlanta, is a 62-bed physician-led treatment facility offering a comprehensive range of services, from medical detox to outpatient care, specializing in alcohol, drug, and co-occurring mental health conditions, dedicated to transforming lives, families, and communities throughout Georgia.
- The Recovery Village Kansas City: The Recovery Village Kansas City, an 80-bed facility in Raytown just 10 miles from downtown, offers a comprehensive range of evidence-based treatments for addiction and mental health conditions, overseen by physician leaders, and is dedicated to revitalizing lives, families, and communities throughout the Midwest.
- The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper Health: The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper, situated just 20 minutes from Philadelphia, is a leading rehab facility in South Jersey providing comprehensive, evidence-based addiction and mental health treatments, ranging from medical detox to teletherapy, with a dedicated team committed to guiding adults on their path to lifelong recovery.
The Recovery Village aims to improve the quality of life for people struggling with substance use or mental health disorder with fact-based content about the nature of behavioral health conditions, treatment options and their related outcomes. We publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by licensed medical professionals. The information we provide is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare providers.