Motivated by failing grades and inspired by Hollywood, many teens have turned to modafinil for academic performance enhancement. The drug is dangerous for children to consume, however, and can lead to addiction.
- It can cause a large number of serious side effects — especially in children
- It can cause psychological dependence.
- Trouble falling or staying asleep
- Excessive thirst and dry mouth
- Tight muscles or pain that may cause difficulty moving
- Burning, tingling or numbness of the skin
- Gas, diarrhea or constipation
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty seeing or eye pain
- Peeling skin
- Mouth sores
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, or limbs
- Suicidal thoughts
It is possible to overdose on modafinil, especially if combined with other drugs or alcohol.Many symptoms of modafinil overdose are the same as the drug’s severe side effects. If a person were to experience these side effects and took large amounts of the drug, they should contact a poison control center or call 911.Modafinil overdose symptoms include:
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Chest pain
- Slow, fast or pounding heartbeat
- Uncontrollable shaking of a body part
Mixing Modafinil with Drugs or AlcoholLiterature from modafinil prescription manufacturers state users should avoid drinking alcohol while taking modafinil. Modafinil has been known to cause dependence, so users with a history of substance abuse and addiction are also not recommended to take the drug.
Your family’s journey to recovery is just beginning
Talk to an experienced recovery advisor today.
Have more questions about Modafinil abuse?Read the most frequently asked questions
Seeking addiction treatment can feel overwhelming. We know the struggle, which is why we're uniquely qualified to help.
Your call is confidential, and there's no pressure to commit to treatment until you're ready. As a voluntary facility, we're here to help you heal -- on your terms. Our sole focus is getting you back to the healthy, sober life you deserve, and we are ready and waiting to answer your questions or concerns 24/7.Speak with an Intake Coordination Specialist now.352.771.2700