Lortab and Percocet are similar, brand-name opioids used to control pain.
Lortab and Percocet are similar, brand-name opioids used to control pain. They contain an opioid component along with acetaminophen, a non-opioid. For Lortab, the opioid component is hydrocodone, and for Percocet, the opioid component is oxycodone.
Article at a Glance:
- Lortab and Percocet both contain opioid (hydrocodone or oxycodone respectively) and acetaminophen
- Lortab only comes in liquid form while Percocet only comes in tablet form
- Other brand-names and generic products are available, containing the same active ingredients as Lortab and Percocet
- Use of opioids like hydrocodone or oxycodone is associated with the risk of addiction, dependence, misuse, and overdoses
- Acetaminophen is associated with liver damage, and it’s also possible to overdose on the substance
- Only use Lortab or Percocet with a prescription, and only take as recommended by your health care provider
Lortab and Percocet Similarities
Both Lortab and Percocet are only to be taken by mouth. Also, they are both Schedule 2 controlled substances, as classified by the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
Opioids like hydrocodone and oxycodone are combined with acetaminophen because the level of pain relief provided improves with this combination. The opioid part stops pain signals from being transmitted in the brain, while acetaminophen stops chemicals that cause pain from forming. Combining the two drugs can result in better pain relief than either drug could provide alone.
Both Lortab and Percocet can lead to physical dependence, addiction, and misuse since they contain opioids. They should only be taken as prescribed by a doctor.
Lortab and Percocet Side Effects
Some common adverse effects associated with opioid use, including hydrocodone and oxycodone, include:
- Decreased respiratory rate
The acetaminophen part of Lortab or Percocet can also cause problems even though it is not an opioid medication. Acetaminophen, especially large doses, can lead to liver damage, especially in people who already have liver problems.
Acetaminophen overdoses can even be fatal, so it is important to use caution with large doses of Lortab or Percocet. People need to be aware of how much acetaminophen is in their particular strength of Lortab or Percocet because the maximum daily dose of any medication that contains acetaminophen is 4000 milligrams.
Differences Between Lortab and Percocet
Although Lortab and Percocet are fairly similar since they both contain acetaminophen with an opioid, there are some key differences. A major difference between Lortab and Percocet is that Lortab is currently only available as a liquid elixir, while Percocet is only available as a tablet.
What is Lortab?
Lortab contains acetaminophen and hydrocodone and is sold only as a liquid. Lortab pills are either fake or expired.
The usual adult dosage of Lortab elixir is 11.25 milliliters every four to six hours. The adult dose contains about 7.5 milligrams of hydrocodone and 225 milligrams of acetaminophen, per dose. Additionally, Lortab elixir contains seven percent alcohol.
What is Percocet?
Percocet contains acetaminophen and oxycodone.
Percocet tablets come in several different strengths. The standard Vicodin dosage for adults is one to two tablets every six hours as needed for pain relief. The following details the amounts of oxycodone and acetaminophen contained in each tablet for different strengths of Percocet:
- Percocet 2.5/325: 2.5 milligrams of oxycodone and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen
- Percocet 5/325: Five milligrams of oxycodone and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen
- Percocet 7.5/325: 7.5 milligrams of hydrocodone and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen
- Percocet 10/325: 10 milligrams of hydrocodone and 325 milligrams of acetaminophen
Other Products Containing Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen
Several other medications contain combination hydrocodone/acetaminophen as Lortab does:
- Vicodin (also Vicodin ES and Vicodin HP)
- Lorcet (also Lorcet HD and Lorcet Plus)
- Several generic versions of hydrocodone/acetaminophen oral tablets and oral solution
Other Products Containing Oxycodone and Acetaminophen
Several other medications contain combination oxycodone/acetaminophen as Percocet does:
- Xartemis XR
- Several generic versions of oxycodone/acetaminophen oral tablets and oral solution
If you or someone you know lives with an addiction to Lortab or Percocet, contact The Recovery Village® to speak to a representative about treatment. At The Recovery Village® patients are provided with professional support and care, allowing them to focus on their treatment. A healthy future is possible for you, call today.
The Recovery Village aims to improve the quality of life for people struggling with substance use or mental health disorder with fact-based content about the nature of behavioral health conditions, treatment options and their related outcomes. We publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by licensed medical professionals. The information we provide is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare providers.