Robaxin is a medication prescribed as a muscle relaxant. Also known by the generic name methocarbamol, this type of drug provides patients with pain relief — usually after some sort of injury. Robaxin also works to ease muscle spasms, which can speed up the recovery process after a muscle injury.
Methocarbamol works by directly influencing nerve impulses within the brain. Robaxin prevents the activation of pain sensors in your brain, which helps to control muscle spasms and decrease pain. Your doctor will prescribe this medication if they believe it will help with pain management, and they will adjust your dosage of Robaxin according to your individual medical condition and level of pain.
Methocarbamol is classified as a muscle relaxant, prescribed to reduce muscle pain and spasms after an injury. This oral medication is usually taken three or four times per day with meals — or as directed by your doctor. Methocarbamol helps to ease muscle spasms brought on by strains and sprains by depressing the central nervous system. Robaxin is typically prescribed as part of pain treatment program, alongside proper rest and physical therapy.
This oral medication is prescribed in two different doses — 500 mg or 750 mg — depending on your pain level. You should always take Robaxin exactly as directed, as taking more medication than necessary can lead to adverse and sometimes dangerous side effects. Your level of pain will not drastically decrease by taking more methocarbamol than prescribed.
Robaxin serves as a central nervous system depressant, which can result in extreme drowsiness and slowed reaction time. Other common side effects of methocarbamol include lightheadedness, stomach pain, nausea, headaches, low blood pressure or blurred vision. These effects can be exaggerated if the medication is taken in excess, which can lead to substance misuse.
Moderate side effects of taking Robaxin can be worsened if you consume alcohol. Always inform your doctor of any other medications you are taking while on methocarbamol, as this can lead to serious side effects or even overdose. Symptoms of a methocarbamol overdose may include seizures or loss of consciousness, and you should seek medical attention immediately. If you believe you or a loved one is struggling with a substance use disorder, seek help today. Take your first step towards recovery today.
Always inform your doctor of any new or worsening side effects while on Robaxin. Although drowsiness and dizziness may occur while taking this medication, these side effects may be more drastic in older adults. Avoid using any other substances while on methocarbamol, and do not operate heavy machinery to avoid injury.
If you experience certain serious side effects, you should stop taking Robaxin and contact your doctor. Severe side effects include difficulty breathing, facial swelling, chest pain, irregular heartbeat or rash. Avoid alcohol or other depressant medications to prevent an accidental overdose. Anti-anxiety medications and other muscle relaxants can be especially dangerous while on methocarbamol. Keep your doctor informed about your pain level to make sure the benefits of Robaxin fit your individual medical needs.
Struggling with Robaxin addiction? You don’t have to fight your substance use disorder alone. We are waiting by the phone 24 hours a day to ensure your future is healthy and sober. Get started today.
Visit the following websites to learn about The Recovery Village’s network of rehabilitation facilities. Call today for admissions. Each center is ready to help people learn how to cope with their Ambien addiction and uncover the root causes for their substance use disorder.
- Orlando Recovery Center: A premier rehabilitation facility in Orlando, Florida that helps individuals recover from addiction and substance use disorders. The center also offers the opportunity to treat co-occurring disorders.
- The Recovery Village Columbus: Located in Ohio, this facility provides inpatient, outpatient and aftercare treatment for people looking to begin detox. The center provides individualized plans to help patients through recovery while addressing their unique co-occurring disorders or any setbacks that may happen during recovery.
- The Recovery Village Palmer Lake: In Colorado, this facility offers inpatient, outpatient and intensive outpatient treatment for individuals looking to kick-start their journey to recovery.
- The Recovery Village Ridgefield: Located right in southern Washington, this facility provides patients with outpatient and aftercare programs. Just 20 minutes outside of Portland, this facility assists individuals who are ready to begin treatment.
- The Recovery Village: In Umatilla, Florida, this is a rehabilitation facility that provides resources for individuals seeking drug and alcohol treatment. There are inpatient, outpatient, intensive outpatient and partial hospitalization treatment programs available for those suffering from Ambien addiction.
- IAFF Center of Excellence: Specializes in assisting firefighters who struggle with behavioral health problems and addiction. Members can enter the recovery process sooner so they can return back to work as quickly as possible. Inpatient, partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient programs are all available at this facility, where patients can address their Ambien addiction in a safe, supportive environment.
- Denver Mental Health & Counseling: Denver Mental Health and Counseling by The Recovery Village is a physician-led outpatient center specializing in evidence-based addiction and mental health treatments, offering services such as TMS, IOP, and personalized care for both ongoing and new patients, dedicated to fostering long-term recovery and overall well-being.
- The Recovery Village Palm Beach at Baptist Health: The Recovery Village Palm Beach at Baptist Health is a premier physician-led treatment center in South Florida, offering a comprehensive spectrum of services from medical detox to outpatient programs for alcohol, drug, and co-occurring mental health conditions, with a commitment to rejuvenating lives, families, and communities, and facilitating same-day admissions.
- The Recovery Village Atlanta: Located in Roswell just outside downtown Atlanta, is a 62-bed physician-led treatment facility offering a comprehensive range of services, from medical detox to outpatient care, specializing in alcohol, drug, and co-occurring mental health conditions, dedicated to transforming lives, families, and communities throughout Georgia.
- The Recovery Village Kansas City: The Recovery Village Kansas City, an 80-bed facility in Raytown just 10 miles from downtown, offers a comprehensive range of evidence-based treatments for addiction and mental health conditions, overseen by physician leaders, and is dedicated to revitalizing lives, families, and communities throughout the Midwest.
- The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper Health: The Recovery Village Cherry Hill at Cooper, situated just 20 minutes from Philadelphia, is a leading rehab facility in South Jersey providing comprehensive, evidence-based addiction and mental health treatments, ranging from medical detox to teletherapy, with a dedicated team committed to guiding adults on their path to lifelong recovery.
The Recovery Village aims to improve the quality of life for people struggling with substance use or mental health disorder with fact-based content about the nature of behavioral health conditions, treatment options and their related outcomes. We publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by licensed medical professionals. The information we provide is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare providers.