Signs, Symptoms and Side Effects of Luminal Abuse
Luminal Addiction Hotline
24/7, Toll-Free, Confidential844-207-6576
Barbiturates are drugs that act as sedatives. They’re not often prescribed anymore because of their risks of addiction and dependence. Instead, many doctors will prescribe benzodiazepines whenever possible. Luminal and other barbiturates can create feelings of euphoria, relaxation or a loss of inhibitions when they’re used in ways other than prescribed. Any time someone uses a prescription drug outside of the prescribing instructions, it’s considered to be abuse.
Signs of Luminal abuse can include:
• Taking Luminal without a prescription
• Taking higher doses of Luminal than as prescribed
• Taking Luminal more often than as instructed
• Using it in any way other than how it should be -such as crushing it up or chewing it
• Combining Luminal with other substances
Seeking addiction treatment can feel overwhelming. We know the struggle, which is why we're uniquely qualified to help.
Your call is confidential, and there's no pressure to commit to treatment until you're ready. As a voluntary facility, we're here to help you heal -- on your terms. Our sole focus is getting you back to the healthy, sober life you deserve, and we are ready and waiting to answer your questions or concerns 24/7.Speak with an Intake Coordination Specialist now.352.771.2700
Addiction is another consequence that happens with Luminal abuse. Addiction isn’t the same as abuse, but it can occur as a result of abuse. When the brain is repeatedly exposed to a barbiturate like Luminal, it actually changes -in terms of the pathways, chemicals and functionality. The result is often addiction and dependence. Addiction is a chronic but treatable disease. Along with affecting the brain, addiction also affects behavior and physical health. Drug dependence often occurs with addiction. Barbiturate dependence means that the individual’s body actually comes to rely upon the presence of the drug. Without it, the brain goes into a type of shock which causes withdrawal symptoms. Barbiturate withdrawal can be severe or deadly.
- Trying to stop using Luminal unsuccessfully
- Using more Luminal than intended
- Focusing a large amount of attention and resources on getting more Luminal and using it
- Commitments and obligations start to suffer, such as at school or work
- Financial and legal problems
- Damaged relationships
The Recovery Village is here to talk to you about treatment and the positive effects it can have on your life or the life of your loved one.