Marriage Counseling and Family Therapy in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Marriage or family therapy can be a big help to those struggling with substance use disorder in Colorado Springs. By helping each member of the family understand how their behavior impacts themselves and other family members, marriage or family therapy can be an invaluable step along the road to recovery.
Therapy has been successfully used in treating eating disorders, parent/child conflict, childhood behavioral problems, and issues related to the care of the elderly. Therapists can also assist with mental health issues, such as anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia.
A therapist in Colorado Springs will often use the first few sessions to better understand the individuals, asking questions and giving each person the opportunity to express themselves. This helps the therapist gain a better understanding of the issues involved, while at the same time helping the family members understand the therapy process, including what to expect and how to gain the most benefit from it.
Marriage Counseling in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Marriage and family counseling have been successful in treating a wide range of issues, including mental and emotional disorders. Research studies show that individuals often go on to have happier family and work relationships, better health, more fulfilling social lives, and greater community participation.
Counseling can be helpful for couples across the entire range of the marital spectrum, from those looking to improve intimacy to couples whose relationship is at the breaking point.
Colorado Springs Marriage Therapy
One of a therapist’s main goals will be to teach each partner the skills needed to deal with issues in productive and healthy ways. As with any therapy, the more both partners put into marriage therapy in Colorado Springs, the more they will get from it.
Many individuals are surprised at how much they learn about relationships and communication. One way therapists achieve this is by remaining neutral during any discussions and by keeping the couple focused on fixing problems, not assigning the blame.
As needed, the therapist may also engage in individual sessions to help each party work on individual issues. Marriage counseling in the Colorado Springs area can be found in a variety of settings such as private practice, university counseling centers, and group practices, ensuring couples can find an environment suited to them.
Finding Marriage Counseling Near Me
It is important to find a therapist who is a good fit. This means finding one that is not only qualified, but one whose personality meshes well with both partners. It is important to choose a marriage counselor who:
- Is properly trained to offer marriage counseling
- Has the necessary experience to deal with the couple’s specific issues
- Helps the couple to develop a therapy plan
- Shows compassion and understanding to both partners
- Remains neutral in any conflicts or disagreement
- Does not allow one partner to speak for or interrupt the other
- Maintains control of each session
- Is easily accessible
- Encourages the couple to express whether they are comfortable with the services offered
- Is financially feasible for the couple
For couples whose schedule demands it, or who prefer it, there are also therapists who specialize in online video sessions.
Family Therapy Colorado Springs, CO
For better or for worse, human beings learn their worldview, behavior, and interpersonal relationship dynamics from their environment, especially the environment in which they were raised. Individuals raised in a healthy, warm, loving, and well-balanced family will often go on to have healthy, warm, loving, and well-balanced relationships in adulthood. In contrast, those who grew up in dysfunctional households will often perpetuate dysfunctional relationships in adulthood.
Family counseling can help individuals learn new, productive ways of interacting with family members, whatever family background from which they may hail.
Colorado Springs Family Counseling
Just as individual therapy aims to help a person improve health and well-being, family counseling’s main goal is to improve the health and well-being of the entire family unit. This may be needed during a difficult period, a tragic loss, substance abuse issues, a mental health crisis, or behavioral problems.
To assist in that endeavor, the Colorado Springs therapist’s goal is to help the family understand the issues, communicate effectively, and work together to solve the problems, all with the goal of a healthy, happy family life.
Finding Family Counseling Near Me
Some things to consider when choosing a family therapist are:
- Insurance Coverage. Finding a therapist that is covered by a couple’s insurance can be a big part of the decision-making process.
- Doctor’s Recommendations. A family doctor may have important insight into the family’s health history that can help him or her make a recommendation. A family doctor may also be aware of a local therapist who has a good track record helping other families with similar issues.
- Online Referrals. There are a number of online resources and search engines that may help individuals find a therapist.
- Personal Recommendations. Never underestimate the value of a personal recommendation from someone you know and whose opinion you trust. If they have used a therapist’s services, ask them about their experience.
Turning to marriage and family counseling for help in dealing with marital and family issues is a big step in the right direction. It is a necessary step when the family’s own resources for solving their problems prove insufficient, or when their problems seem insurmountable. Giving counseling a chance is not admitting defeat; it is an important step toward helping a family heal. Take that step today. Call The Recovery Village to find out about counselors and therapists in the Colorado Springs area.