Overcoming an addiction to drugs or alcohol can be a life-changing experience. If you’ve signed up to receive teletherapy through The Recovery Village Telehealth app, you’ve taken an important step on the road to recovery by starting or continuing treatment. This comprehensive guide will help get you started.
If you haven’t signed up for teletherapy yet or aren’t sure if it’s right for you, you can learn more about our teletherapy services and fill out the online form when you’re ready. Our helpful representatives are also ready to answer questions and go over our treatment options to meet your needs.
Table of Contents
Using the Patient Portal
The Recovery Village patient portal allows you to access scheduled appointments, sign required documents, send messages, find peer support, and more. Once you’re matched with a counselor, you’ll receive an email with a username and password to use.
If possible and to prevent delays, enter the patient portal before your first therapy appointment to sign the required documents.
How to Enter Your Teletherapy Session
Here’s a step-by-step guide to attending a teletherapy appointment with your licensed counselor.
- Once your appointment is scheduled, we’ll email or text you a Zoom meeting link and meeting ID to use. You can also see this information and join a meeting through the patient portal.
- When it’s time for your teletherapy session, click the meeting link or copy and paste it into your browser. You can also join a meeting through the patient portal’s calendar.
- If you haven’t already, the page will ask you to download the Zoom desktop client or mobile app. If you have Zoom downloaded, it will ask you to ‘Open Zoom’.
- Click ‘Join a Meeting’ and enter the meeting ID and your name.
- Decide if you’d like to connect video, audio or both. When you’re ready to start, click ‘Join’ or ‘Join Meeting’.
We recommend downloading and installing Zoom prior to your appointment time. This will prevent delays for your appointment and give you an opportunity to get comfortable using the platform in advance. Here are some additional helpful instructions that are specific to each operating system and web browser.
Tips Before Starting Your Session
Before entering your teletherapy session, here are a few best practices:
- If you are able to, directly plug your desktop or laptop computer into your router. If not, try to use a strong, reliable Wi-Fi connection.
- Close any other browser windows or applications while using the app.
- Fully charge your device beforehand or keep it plugged in during the call.
- Choose a well-lit, quiet room to attend your meeting.
Just like in-person counseling, preparing yourself will help you make the most of online counseling. Limit distractions, take a few deep breaths, and keep an open mind.
Using the App During Therapy
The Recovery Village Telehealth app can be used for individual and group teletherapy sessions through Zoom videoconference calls. In individual sessions, you will be able to see and hear your therapist as they work with you through a personalized treatment plan. This may include different types of online counseling.
For group therapy sessions, clients can see thumbnails of everyone’s video stream on the screen. The primary speaker will appear as a larger video picture in the center of the screen.
Features and Options
Clients have a few options to customize their sessions. At the bottom of the screen are multiple buttons. If you do not see a button, increase the size of the Zoom window to see them. Features include:
- Mute/Unmute: Click this button if you’d like to turn your microphone off. A slash symbol through the microphone icon will appear on your video thumbnail. Click again to turn the microphone back on. In a group therapy session, muting yourself when you are not speaking can help everyone hear each other better.
- Start Video/Stop Video: Click this button if you’d like to turn your camera off and on. Clients who do not wish to be seen or desire more privacy can use this feature.
- Participants: This button opens the participants list, with a useful feature for group therapy: clicking ‘Raise Hand’ will call the therapist’s attention to you.
- Chat: Click this button to open and close the meeting chatbox. Typed messages may be used in group therapy sessions for activities and to address audio issues.
- Share Screen: Click this button If you’d like your therapist to see your screen. You’ll have multiple options in what you’d like to share. In a group therapy session, everyone will be able to see the screen, not just the therapist.
- Leave Meeting: When you’re done with your session, click this button to leave the call.
- Fullscreen: If you’d like to go into fullscreen mode, click the four-corners icon in the top-right corner of the screen. Click it again to leave fullscreen mode.
Some features available within Zoom meetings should not be used during teletherapy sessions to protect the privacy of all participating clients. As such, they may be disabled or not appear. These include the Invite and Record buttons.
Visit the Zoom FAQs for more information about Zoom meetings and troubleshooting. If you have any additional questions or issues, you can submit a request to Zoom directly or contact our client support team at [email protected].
Patient Portal FAQ
- I can’t see any appointments in the calendar?
Generally, your therapist will work with you to create appointments that fit your schedule. Appointments may take a moment to appear on the calendar. If you still don’t see any appointments, feel free to contact your counselor to confirm.
- I can’t sign my required documents?
- What if I need more help with the patient portal?
Clients can contact The Recovery Village using the messages icon in the patient portal. When sending a message, make the recipient “Admissions” to reach a helpful representative.