When someone begins addiction treatment, the first and often most crucial step is detoxing from drugs and alcohol. Drug detox is the process when the body rids itself of toxins and any remaining traces of drugs and alcohol.
During this period, someone may experience potentially serious and dangerous withdrawal symptoms. To avoid potentially life-threatening side effects of withdrawal, someone who needs detox care can benefit from a medical detox program at a rehab center.
Several advantages of medical detox include:
- A safe, structured environment
- Constant medical supervision
- Potential for medication-assisted treatment
- Successful mitigation of withdrawal symptoms
- The possibility of transitioning to other rehab programs
Drug detox can be uncomfortable and painful, so attending a detox facility can provide people with assistance and monitoring in a safe environment.
Learn more with these articles and additional information about medical detox.