Elizabeth Vargas checks out of ABC’s 20/20 and checks into an unknown rehabilitation facility to be treated for alcohol dependence; as reported by the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD).
The NY Daily News reported ABC’s 20/20 investigative reporter told Confidential, “Like so many people, I am dealing with addiction. I realized I was becoming increasingly dependent on alcohol. And feel fortunate to have recognized it for the problem it was becoming. I am in treatment and am so thankful for the love and support of my family, friends and colleagues at ABC News. Like so many others, I will deal with this challenge a day at a time. If coming forward today gives one other person the courage to seek help, I’m grateful.”
Vargas has been off-air for treatment since mid-October and is expected to return to the 20/20 team when she is able.
The Reality of Alcohol Dependence
Vargas is right in stating that “like so many people, I am dealing with addiction”, as alcohol dependence runs rampant in the United States.
- Recent studies concluded that alcoholism is the most common and costly addiction in the U.S.
- 53% of adults have affirmed that at least one of their family members has a drinking problem, in many cases more than one.
- According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 51.5% of adults drink alcohol on a regular basis.
Admitting there is a drinking problem and taking immediate action, like Vargas, is a courageous first step toward life-long recovery. There are many treatment opportunities available for alcohol dependence through rehabilitation centers, and support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous.
Take that courageous first step today.
- Understanding The Difference Between Alcohol Use and Alcoholism - December 12, 2018
- Do You Need Gender-Specific Addiction Treatment? - October 9, 2018
- Is Science Closer to a Cure for Alcohol Use Disorder? - August 30, 2018
- Why Is Alcohol Use Disorder On the Rise Among Women? - December 6, 2017
- Survey Shows 12 Percent of Americans Have an Opioid-Addicted Family Member - December 5, 2017
- Opioid Epidemic Costs Estimated in the Billions - December 4, 2017
- Yale Announces “Innovation to Impact” Program to Spur Substance Abuse Treatment Solutions - December 1, 2017
- Why Prevention Is an Essential Weapon in the Fight against Substance Abuse - November 30, 2017
- What Is the Difference between Drug Addiction and Behavioral Addiction? - November 29, 2017
- Marriage, Addiction, and Divorce: What You Should Know - November 28, 2017