Eating Disorder Awareness Week (EADW) will be February 24th – March 1st, 2014. Every year during this week, treatment professionals, families, and those struggling with eating disorders join together to spread the word about and work to prevent these devastating conditions.
This year’s theme is: I Had No Idea. Organizers want to stress the importance of looking for the warning signs of eating disorders, and the need for early intervention and treatment. Many individuals and families are not aware of just how dangerous these disorders are, and this year’s Awareness Week is designed to educate the public about the mental and physical consequences of eating disorders.
National Eating Disorder Awareness Week is held every February, and as the number of events held during this week continue to grow and expand, so does the impact of everyone’s work. Organizers at National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) estimate that after last year’s Awareness Week, over 5,000 people took their online screening test, inquiries to NEDA’s helpline increased 40%, and their website experienced the most traffic it has ever had.
Organizers last year held events in all 50 states, and the social media campaigns associated with the week reached 51 different countries. NEDA encourages treatment centers, organizations, individuals, and families to plan and carry out an event for this year’s Awareness Week. Alcohol detox Las Vegas.
Eating disorders affect millions of people each year. Many individuals are able to hide their problem from family and close friends, but eating disorders lead to a host of other issues, including malnutrition, depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse disorders, and other conditions.
The RecoveryVillage helps individuals struggling with eating disorders and behavioral health disorders. By supporting groups like NEDA, as well as sponsoring seminars and conferences, The Recovery Village is able to provide the hope of healing to many individuals suffering with eating disorders.
- Understanding The Difference Between Alcohol Use and Alcoholism - December 12, 2018
- Do You Need Gender-Specific Addiction Treatment? - October 9, 2018
- Is Science Closer to a Cure for Alcohol Use Disorder? - August 30, 2018
- Why Is Alcohol Use Disorder On the Rise Among Women? - December 6, 2017
- Survey Shows 12 Percent of Americans Have an Opioid-Addicted Family Member - December 5, 2017
- Opioid Epidemic Costs Estimated in the Billions - December 4, 2017
- Yale Announces “Innovation to Impact” Program to Spur Substance Abuse Treatment Solutions - December 1, 2017
- Why Prevention Is an Essential Weapon in the Fight against Substance Abuse - November 30, 2017
- What Is the Difference between Drug Addiction and Behavioral Addiction? - November 29, 2017
- Marriage, Addiction, and Divorce: What You Should Know - November 28, 2017