Safeguarding Prescription Drugs in Your Home
You — like most Americans — likely have at least one prescription medication in your home, easily accessible to your teen. Though these substances may seem safer than street drugs, many are addictive and can be just as destructive as illicit substances.
- Put any medications in a locked drawer, cabinet or safe
- Keep count of the pills in each bottle
- Keep prescription refill forms hidden and private
- Make sure your spouse and other older loved ones monitor their own medications
- Ask the parents of your child’s friends to safeguard their prescriptions as well
- Don’t throw spare pills in the garbage
- Remove personal information from pill bottles before you throw them away
Questions? We have answers.
Our addiction specialists have more information about addiction, prevention and treatment program options.
- “Study Shows 70 Percent of Americans Take Prescription Drugs.” CBS News. CBS Interactive Inc., 20 June 2013. Web. 22 Jan. 2016. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-shows-70-percent-of-americans-take-prescription-drugs/
- “Over Prescribed America.” Top Masters in Healthcare. Top Masters in Healthcare, n.d. Web. 22 Jan. 2016. http://www.topmastersinhealthcare.com/drugged-america/
- “Total Number of Retail Prescriptions Filled Annually in the U.S. 2013-2021.” Statista. Statista, 2016. Web. 22 Jan. 2016. http://www.statista.com/statistics/261303/total-number-of-retail-prescriptions-filled-annually-in-the-us/
- “Prescription Drugs.” NIDA for Teens. National Institutes of Health, 15 Jan. 2016. Web. 21 Jan. 2016. https://teens.drugabuse.gov/drug-facts/prescription-drugs
See alsoSee more topics
Have more questions about Prescription Drugs abuse?Read the most frequently asked questions
Seeking addiction treatment can feel overwhelming. We know the struggle, which is why we're uniquely qualified to help.
Your call is confidential, and there's no pressure to commit to treatment until you're ready. As a voluntary facility, we're here to help you heal -- on your terms. Our sole focus is getting you back to the healthy, sober life you deserve, and we are ready and waiting to answer your questions or concerns 24/7.Speak with an Intake Coordination Specialist now.352.771.2700