Substance Abuse Counseling in Columbus, Ohio
More and more people in Columbus become victims of alcohol and drug addiction every day. Substance abuse counseling can help you or the addict in your life regain control and work toward an enriching and sober life. By meeting with a counselor to discuss your addiction and the factors that have led up to it, you can begin to work toward a safe and effective recovery.
Columbus, Ohio Addiction Counseling
Trained addiction counselors understand how the disease of addiction takes hold of an addict’s mind and body. This gives counselors the expertise to help facilitate healing both the mental and physical state throughout substance abuse programs in Columbus. Through addiction counseling, you and your drug and alcohol counselor will accomplish some of the following:
- Setting Goals (short-term and long-term): Your addiction counselor in Columbus will help you to identify and create a sequence of goals. Short-term goals are designed to stay focused during the tumultuous period of initial withdrawal from substances. Long-term goals are to create and enforce accountability to remaining sober and clean for the weeks, months, and years to come. This is critical during the transition back into life after completion of a substance abuse treatment program.
- Gaining New Coping Skills: Substance abuse counselors in Columbus will help empower the addict by teaching coping mechanisms to handle life stressors and recurring triggers. This will create a new behavior to replace the old routine of running to a substance for relief.
- Group and Individual Therapy: Substance abuse counseling often utilizes the therapeutic process of group therapy in addition to individual sessions. Group therapy allows for learning from other peers and gaining a comfort in communicating past experiences to others and can help you or your loved one to overcome insecurities. There tends to be a comfort in a group setting in which people share personal experiences and feelings. Individual therapy allows for one-on-one sessions with your alcohol and drug counselor to deal with past trauma and learn new ways to deal with difficult situations.
Your addiction counselor in Columbus may use these and a variety of other methods during your addiction counseling treatment program. To find out more about these methods and addiction counseling in general, you may always confidentially contact The Recovery Village for information.
Local Licensed Drug Counselor
A drug abuse counselor, or drug counselor, is a trained substance abuse counselor who has specialized knowledge and training regarding drug addiction. Drug counseling will allow you, or your loved one, to dive deeper into what past traumas or existing mental health disorders have fed into addictive behaviors. You will also learn how to cope with these issues, cut out toxic individuals, and build a strong sober support network outside of treatment. With a licensed alcohol and drug counselor by your side, the demon of addiction becomes less of a threat to your wellbeing.
Local Certified Alcohol Counselor
A substance abuse counselor in Columbus is also capable of dealing with the side effects and aspects of alcohol addiction as well as drug addiction. A certified alcohol and drug counselor will teach you ways of managing your alcoholism, given that it is a substance that you will encounter in public life on a regular basis. If not properly equipped, it can be easy to slip back into old habits. Substance abuse programs provide that lifesaving equipment in the form of excellent therapy and care.
Drug Addiction Counselor Columbus, OH
Finding the best level of care involves having an exceptional drug addiction counselor in Columbus. Identifying these amazing professionals requires being aware of certain criteria which the ideal candidate should possess:
- Special Training: Your substance abuse counselor in Columbus should have a specialization in the specific type of addiction with which your or your loved one struggle. For instance, a dependency on pain pills should be treated by someone with extensive knowledge of opiates and opioids.
- Kind and Caring: This is a very personal and sensitive experience to go through. Your addiction counselor should be empathetic to your story and be invested in your success.
- Properly Educated: You want to ensure that your health and well-being are in the hands of professionals who have completed the proper certifying procedures.
Substance Abuse Counseling Near Me
Finding the right substance abuse counseling program requires similar criteria to finding the right drug addiction counselor in Columbus. This is not a decision to make in haste and desperation, as choosing an unqualified program can do more harm to the recovery process than good. Trusted recommendations can help you find the best program for you.
If you are comfortable, speak with your primary care physician. As a trusted medical professional and someone who is familiar with you, your doctor can help you find the best substance abuse treatment centers for you. It is perfectly normal to not feel comfortable talking about addiction with a doctor or friend. In these cases, remember you can anonymously speak with professionals at The Recovery Village to get the specific answers you need to be on your way to a happy, healthy, sober life.