Finding an Interventionist in Saint Petersburg, Florida
Although many people focus an intervention on the goal of getting a person to agree to enter treatment for his or her drug or alcohol addiction in Saint Petersburg, that is not the only goal of a good intervention. A Saint Petersburg drug intervention also offers an opportunity for families and those close to the person struggling with substance abuse to stop the addiction from negatively impacting their lives.
With the help of intervention counselors, family members and friends find ways to assert control over their own lives and stop enabling their loved one. An interventionist in Saint Petersburg often starts with the family and then may include close friends when appropriate.
Family members have a chance to see ways in which they may have enabled the disease, as well as the areas in which the abuse has created dysfunction in their own lives. An interventionist helps them to see ways to create healthier relationships and dynamics.
An alcohol or drug intervention inherently brings up deeply personal issues, so it is important to work with a professional with whom you and the rest of the attendees feel comfortable. Additionally, the personality and style of the interventionist should complement that of the person for whom the drug intervention takes place.
When looking for intervention counselors in Saint Petersburg, FL, take the time to interview your short list. This helps you to learn more about their services, credentials, and methods. Important questions include:
- What if my loved one decides not to go into treatment?
- How should we organize the drug or alcohol intervention?
- With what types of addiction have you worked?
- What intervention methods do you use?
- What should we anticipate to happen after an intervention?
These questions should jump-start a conversation with an interventionist in Saint Petersburg so you have a better understanding of his or her ability to provide the type of intervention you want.
Drug Intervention Counselor in Saint Petersburg, FL
Saint Petersburg drug intervention is not just about getting your loved one help for addiction; it is just as much about stopping any existing codependency and enabling behaviors on the part of the rest of the family. You have more power to change your own behavior than you do that of your loved one.
Therefore, an effective intervention allows family members to propose decisions on ways to remove any enabling or codependency behavior and hold their loved one accountable. Even if the person does not choose to enter treatment, family members will have stopped the destructive patterns from affecting their own lives.
Working with intervention counselors in Saint Petersburg helps you to see the ways in which your loved one may manipulate emotions to continue a destructive behavior. Then, you can implement change that helps your loved one see the impact of the behavior and choose to seek treatment.
Saint Petersburg, FL Drug and Addiction Intervention Counselors
Family members trying to organize an addiction intervention may not know what to expect or understand the process. When you start to plan with an interventionist in Saint Petersburg, he or she will give you details. In general, the process includes key steps:
- Consultation: Before you get too far underway in planning the intervention, you will have an initial meeting with the interventionist. Generally, this takes place over the phone, but you may meet in person. During this meeting, the intervention counselor will start to identify some of the problems to address.
- Talk with the attendees: The next step includes the interventionist educating family members and other attendees of the intervention about the process and what to expect. Family members also will learn more about their role in the process and the control they can take back through changing certain behaviors. This step allows families to get on the same page in terms of goals for the intervention.
- Hold the intervention: Once the intervention counselor has talked with everyone, the process to plan and implement the intervention begins. You do not have to wait until your loved one hits rock bottom; many people find a better outcome from an intervention at earlier stages in a person’s fight with addiction. If you wait too long, then everyone becomes more comfortable in his or her behavior patterns and the dysfunction grows.
Alcohol Intervention Near Me
Many people in the Saint Petersburg area suffer from alcohol addiction, and working with an intervention counselor can help you to encourage your loved one to seek treatment for his or her addiction. The legality of alcohol makes it harder to get people to admit to a problem.
Intervention counselors in Saint Petersburg will focus not on the amount of alcohol a person drinks but on the negative consequences of the dysfunctional behavior, as well as the impact on the family. This helps a person to move past denial and accept they have a problem.
With an interventionist, you receive guidance in how to break the cycle of addiction and get your loved one help. You will also find ways to improve the home environment to create a more positive atmosphere to facilitate the recovery process once a person returns home from treatment. When looking online or in person for an interventionist in Saint Petersburg, keep the following in mind:
- Reviews and testimonials: When you find potential intervention counselors, check for online reviews and testimonials to see other people’s experience with them.
- Recommendations: Ask around your personal network to find if anyone has suggestions on whom to use for an intervention.
- Physician referral: Inquire with your doctor about any intervention counselors in his or her professional network.
- Insurance: Another source of information is your insurance. Your provider should have a list of in-network interventionists.
Working with an interventionist in Saint Petersburg initiates the process of getting your loved one help for his or her addiction and stopping the negative impact on your family. To access additional resources for addiction treatment, reach out today to The Recovery Village.