Finding an Interventionist in Orlando, Florida
There is a strong social misconception about interventions. How they work and the intentions of an intervention is not very clear to most people, due in large part to dramatic reality TV shows that portray interventions for entertainment.
Interventions have two main purposes that go hand-in-hand:
- To convince somebody struggling with addiction to drugs or alcohol that they should choose to seek treatment in a reputable drug and alcohol rehab facility in Orlando.
- To help the family surrounding that individual regain control over their lives and start repairing damaged relationships.
Interventions are deeply emotional and incredibly personal experiences for a family and should be entered into with the support of a certified interventionist. This is a trained professional who can provide the education and support a family will need before, during, and after an intervention takes place.
Effective Orlando interventions are held by families that understand and acknowledge a few key points:
- Addiction is a disease, not a choice.
- Treatment will be successful if entered into by the choice of the individual.
- Certain behaviors by the family have contributed to the addict’s situation. Identifying and addressing those behaviors is an important part of long-term recovery for the addict.
A drug interventionist is trained to explain and explore these concepts with a family before an intervention occurs, increasing the likelihood that it will succeed. Interventions are multi-step processes, and this is an important first one.
Comfort is also critical – a family must feel comfortable with an Orlando interventionist or the chances of success are minimal. Personal information and deep feelings will have to be explored in the course of arranging an intervention, and sharing this information requires a high level of trust. Whoever is arranging the intervention should also consider what type of person is likely to help the person being confronted feel at ease. Are they nervous around authority types in suit and tie? Do they view casual wear as a lack of professionalism?
Most drug interventionists in Orlando allow no-obligation consultations, which can be a great opportunity to start getting to know them. Some questions to consider asking during the first meeting might be:
- Which method of intervention do you use?
- Do you have experience with this type of addiction?
- What sort of preparation should I/we expect before the intervention?
- What happens if my loved one refuses to enter treatment afterward?
- Do you offer post-intervention counseling?
These types of questions will give you valuable information, but will also allow you to get a sense of who the interventionist is and how he or she works.
Drug Intervention Counselor in Orlando, FL
Interventions are difficult, and having a certified and trained drug intervention counselor to lead the session will significantly improve the chances of success. Effective interventions change the mind of an addict, hopefully leading him or her to voluntarily seek addiction treatment, but it will also be designed to change the way family members think about their own behaviors and thought patterns.
In order for addicts to achieve long-term recovery, their families must learn the best ways to support them on that journey. This means changing ideas about addiction, learning new ways of coping with stress and educating themselves about their own behaviors that may have been enabling their loved ones’ addiction. It can be a painful and challenging process, but an experienced drug interventionist can help make the transition as easy and meaningful as possible.
Orlando, FL Drug and Addiction Intervention Counselors
Every drug and addiction intervention counselor in Orlando has a different approach, and will often tailor their process to suit the needs of the family with whom they are working. That said, the process of setting up an intervention generally follows a similar pattern:
Step 1 – Initial Consultation: This first meeting could take place either in-person or on the phone. It is a chance for family members and intervention counselors to get to know one another, ask questions, and start talking about next steps. It will also allow the counselor to identify key issues that need to be addressed before an intervention takes place.
Step 2 – Addiction Education: This step is necessary for family members to fully comprehend and understand addiction as a disease, and see how it has altered their loved ones’ thoughts and behaviors. Understanding addiction is a difficult process and can take quite a few counseling or therapy sessions with a qualified drug and addiction intervention counselor.
Step 3 – Goal Setting: While it may seem obvious, it is important for the family to set some goals for the intervention process to work toward. Usually, the main goal is to get their loved one to seek treatment on their own. Additional goals may be helping an addict to realize their family is there to support them or to better understand how the family’s behavior has contributed to the addiction and take action to change those behaviors.
Step 4 – Intervention: This is the main event. Delaying the process will only cause additional harm to the addicted person and to the entire family and support network. Proceeding quickly with an intervention is in the best interests of all involved.
Alcohol Intervention Near Me
Alcohol use disorder is one of the most common types of addiction in America, and therefore one of the most common reasons for intervention. If you are looking for a specialized alcohol intervention counselor in Orlando, there a variety of options available for you:
- Ask your doctor – Doctors are typically well-connected with other medical professionals in your area, including counselors. They will be familiar with your family and your needs and can recommend a good match.
- Personal referrals – If you know somebody who has gone through a similar experience, ask them for their recommendation. Or use the internet to read personal reviews of drug and alcohol intervention counselors in Orlando. These personal accounts can be extremely helpful in your search.
- Talk to The Recovery Village – The intake specialists at The Recovery Village have extensive knowledge of local resources to help you find the right counselor for your needs. They stand ready to take your call any time of the day or night, 7 days a week. All calls are completely confidential and free of charge. Get in touch today to see how they can help.