Marriage Counseling and Family Therapy in Pueblo, Colorado
For those struggling with substance use disorder in Pueblo, Colorado, marriage or family therapy can be an important tool in the recovery process. Counseling can help each family member understand how their behavior impacts themselves, as well as the family unit as a whole.
Therapy has a proven track record of successfully treating eating disorders, parent/child conflict, childhood behavioral problems, and issues related to the care of the elderly. Therapists can also assist with mental health issues, such as anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia.
In order to better understand the issues the couple/family are facing, therapists will often use the first few sessions to get to know the individuals, asking questions and listening to each person to better understand the situation. This also provides an opportunity for the family members to learn more about the therapy process, what to expect, and how to gain the most from it.
Marriage Counseling in Pueblo, Colorado
Reports have shown that marriage and family therapy is successful in treating a wide range of issues, including mental and emotional disorders. Many individuals go on to have happier family and work relationships, better health, more fulfilling social lives, and greater community participation.
Counseling can be helpful for couples across the entire range of the marital spectrum, from those looking to improve intimacy to couples whose relationship is at the breaking point.
Pueblo Marriage Therapy
The therapist will endeavor to teach both partners the skills they need to deal with issues in productive, healthy ways. As with any therapy, the more both partners put into it, the more they will get from it.
Individuals who embrace therapy are often surprised at how much they learn about relationships and communication. Therapists achieve this, in part, by remaining neutral during any discussions and by keeping the couple focused on fixing problems, not assigning blame.
As needed, the therapist may also engage in individual sessions to help each party work on individual issues. Marriage counseling in the Pueblo area can be found in a variety of settings such as private practice, university counseling centers, and group practices, ensuring couples can find an environment suited to them.
Finding Marriage Counseling Near Me
It is important to find a therapist who is a good fit. This means finding one that is not only qualified, but one whose personality meshes well with both partners. It is important to choose a marriage counselor who:
- Is properly trained to offer marriage counseling
- Has the necessary experience to deal with the couple’s specific issues
- Helps the couple to develop a therapy plan
- Shows compassion and understanding to both partners
- Remains neutral in any conflicts or disagreement
- Does not allow one partner to speak for or interrupt the other
- Maintains control of each session
- Is easily accessible
- Encourages the couple to express if they are comfortable with the services offered
- Is financially feasible for the couple
For couples whose schedule demands it, or who prefer it, there are also therapists who specialize in online video chat sessions.
Family Therapy Pueblo, CO
Human beings learn from their environment, especially the environment in which they were raised. Nowhere is this more true than in the realm of interpersonal relationships. Those raised in a healthy, warm, loving, and well-balanced family will often have healthy, warm, loving, and well-balanced relationships in adulthood. In contrast, those who grew up in dysfunctional households will often struggle with, and perpetuate, dysfunctional relationships in adulthood.
Family counseling can help individuals learn new, productive ways of interacting with family members, whatever type of family background from which they may hail.
Pueblo Family Counseling
Family counseling’s main goal is to improve the health and well-being of the entire family unit. This may be needed during a difficult period, a tragic loss, substance abuse issues, a mental health crisis, or behavioral problems.
To assist in that endeavor, the therapist’s goal is to help the family understand the issues, communicate effectively, and work together to solve the problems, all with the goal of a healthy, happy family life.
Finding Family Counseling Near Me
Some things to consider when choosing a family therapist are:
- Insurance Coverage. Finding a therapist that is covered by a couple’s insurance can be a big part of the decision-making process.
- Doctor’s Recommendations. A family doctor may have important insight into the family’s health history that can help him or her make a recommendation. A family doctor may also be aware of a local therapist who has a good track record helping other families with similar issues.
- Online Referrals. There are a number of online resources and search engines that may help individuals find a therapist.
- Personal Recommendations. Never underestimate the value of a personal recommendation from someone you know and whose opinion you trust. If they have used a therapist’s services, ask them about their experience.
Turning to marriage and family counseling for help in dealing with marital and family issues is a big step in the right direction. It is a necessary step when the family’s own resources for solving their problems prove insufficient, or when their problems seem insurmountable. Giving counseling a chance is not admitting defeat; it is an important step toward helping a family heal. Take that step today. Reach out to The Recovery Village to find counseling resources in your area.