Finding an Interventionist in Canon City, Colorado
Interventions in Canon City are about more than you might think. Although many only focus on the goal of getting a person into substance abuse treatment in Canon City, another important goal of an addiction intervention is to stop the substance abuse from negatively impacting other members of the family. Not only does an alcohol or drug addiction often affect the family, family members also often enable the addiction in some way.
Working with intervention counselors in Canon City provides a way for family members to recognize the ways in which their own actions may be impacting the drug addiction. Although you cannot force change on anyone, you can look at your own actions and make the changes to your own life so that you and other members of your family no longer have to deal with the negative consequences of the drug addiction.
It is key to find an interventionist in Canon City with whom you feel comfortable. An addiction intervention can get very emotional, and it may be difficult to accurately predict how your loved one will react. Therefore, look at more than the experience and credentials of potential intervention counselors, although these qualities are important. Find a good fit, which will help your loved one accept help when offered.
Once you have narrowed down a selection of intervention counselors in Canon City who meet your requirements, take the time to hold interviews with them to see which one may suit your loved one’s personality the best for a more effective intervention.
Before the interview, compile some important questions to help you assess whether the interventionist suits your need. Here are a few examples to help you start your list:
- What intervention method do you use, and why?
- What type of results should you expect?
- What happens if the person refuses treatment?
- How do you prepare for an intervention?
- Who do you recommend being a part of the intervention?
- What experience do you have with situations similar to this?
Drug Intervention Counselor in Canon City, CO
A Canon City drug intervention is not just about getting the person struggling with drug abuse out of denial; it is also about bringing any codependency or enabling behaviors to light. It also helps family members to decide what they can do to start holding the person accountable, and what actions they can take to protect themselves from continued fallout from the drug addiction.
Although many people believe that you have to wait for your loved one to hit rock bottom to change, that is not true. In many situations, it is easier to make an effective change and hold a drug intervention with a better outcome as soon as you become aware of the abuse and the problems associated with it.
Working with an interventionist in Canon City can be important because it is difficult to talk with someone about drug abuse, especially if the person is in denial. He or she may be able to come up with excuses or manipulate the conversation so that real change does not occur.
Canon City, CO Drug and Addiction Intervention Counselors
Intervention counselors in Canon City will have their own way of holding an intervention, but there is a standard format that you most likely will follow in your preparation for the drug or alcohol intervention:
- Consultation: An intervention begins with the first consultation with an interventionist in Canon City. You will learn more about what to expect, how to prepare, and who to bring in to help plan the intervention. The goal of this stage of the intervention is to get all involved parties on the same page.
- Preparation: The next stage involves preparing for the actual event. This may include educating the family members and other attendees of the intervention about the process and what changes they can make. This not only includes changes to their own behavior patterns so that they no longer enable the addiction or are impacted by it but also changes to the home environment so it is better suited for the addict once he or she returns home.
- Intervention: The last stage is the event itself. How this looks will differ depending on the chosen intervention method of the family and interventionist. Regardless of the style, the earlier you are able to hold the event, the better.
Alcohol Intervention Near Me
It can be more difficult to hold an alcohol intervention than a Canon City drug intervention in many situations. This is because alcohol is a legal substance, making it more difficult for people to recognize the problem they may have with drinking. Intervention counselors in Canon City will help you to hold an addiction intervention that focuses on the negative behavior patterns rather than the amount that one drinks.
At the end of an intervention, everyone should be able to take accountability for their actions and declare the changes they plan to make to help stop the addiction. Even if the person struggling with drug or alcohol addiction does not choose treatment, the rest of the family members can still enact their behavior changes to stop enabling, avoid codependency, and make the person accountable for his or her actions. This helps to reduce the impact on the family members and increases the chance the person will choose to seek treatment in the future.
There are many ways to find intervention counselors in Canon City who will be able to help you during this trying time. A few resources include:
- Insurance provider
- Mental health professional
- Friends and family members
- Online search
Though initiating an intervention may be a difficult decision for your family, it is the right one to make if you have been unable to persuade a loved one to seek treatment on your own. Reach out today to The Recovery Village to find interventionists and other addiction treatment resources in your area.