Community Education Series: Intimacy and Connection in Recovery
PLEASE REGISTER THROUGH ZOOM: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIoce6tqz0qHdWrbmqgL_WG-A2-b70AxM0I
Negative messages from childhood lead to a fear of intimacy that es often relieved with addictive behavior. This presentation discusses that process and how we can recover the innate ability to connect with others and a higher power.
Speaker: Dr. Carol Clark, PhD, LMHC, CST, CAP, CTCT (Transgender Care)
About the Speaker: Dr. Carol Clark is a board-certified in sex therapy and addictions and is the president, founder, and senior instructor for the International Institute of Clinical Sexology and the Therapist Certification Association. From prisoners to celebrities, businessmen to artists, Dr. Clark’s work has helped individuals from a multitude of backgrounds to find a better life. She employs a variety of interventions to effectively assist those seeking personal growth and an improved sense of well-being in their lives. By using the concepts in her book, Addict America: The Lost Connection and My Pocket Therapist: 12 Tools for Living in Connection, she facilitates the healing that allows full intimacy and Connection. In conjunction with her educational and professional development, her spiritual journey has evolved to an emotional and intellectual awareness of addiction as a condition that permeates all aspects of people’s lives.
1. Describe the concept of addiction as a global condition relating to overall stimulation, as opposed to being specific to a particular drug or activity.
2. Describe how addiction develops from a fear of intimacy and then creates a barrier to intimacy.
3. Differentiate between truly intimate relationships and pseudo-intimacy (typical of sex addiction).
4. Assist clients with defining the concepts of external versus internal control and how they use this in controlling degrees of intimacy.
5. Effectively implement the book’s daily exercises for recovery, healthy sex, and Connection.
Time: 2PM-3PM EST
No credits will be offered for attending this training